the door lock mechanism
- Garvin has very detailed instructions here.
- Tony Thompson's site has more information here.
- More detailed pictures and information on Dieter's site here.
- CJJ has produced this great
how to thread on the MG-Rover.org forum.
...repair the central locking door
...remove the centre console
- Tony Thompson has this
article on his web site, this is for the MGF console.
- CJJ posted this
thread, detailing the removal of a TF console, on the MG-Rover.org
forum, just like CJJ's other How To's, its full of very useful photo's.
Can also be found
here on the T-Bar.
| ...door windows
- replacing a broken window stop
Before you check out the links below, Charles
Simeon sent me a very relevant check that can be made.....
"It is very important and easy to adjust the coachline of the doors
BEFORE adjusting the height of the glass. (This makes an astonishing
improvement to the overall appearance of older cars). Almost by default
if the glass stop has been broken for some time before you 'get around
to it', the glass will have pushed the door downwards out of line. It
needs a T40 Torx to loosen the striker plate and lift it back into line
before setting the glass height. Otherwise like muggins here you have
to take the card off again and do the job twice!"
You should also check that the door hinges
have not worn prior to the above, Mike Satur sells an uprated hinge kit
for the job.
- Tony's site covers this problem very thoroughly
- DotComoff also covers the replacement of the window stops
- replacing the window lift mechanism
This article on the MGOC web site by Roger Parker covers the
subject really well.
Rover 800 stalks
- Chris 'cjmillsnun' Mills over on the MG-Rover.org forum,
has put together these great instructions
on how to fit Rover 800 instrument stalks, to give adjustable
intermittent wipe. NOTE - this project is on-going with regard to the
intermittent wipe, the clever sparky bods are trying to come up with a
solution. Still worth fitting the stalks though.
...remove the steering wheel
- Andy Phillips relays the steps on steering wheel removal here
on the MG-Rover.org forum.
- Dieter has this page on
steering wheel removal.
...reposition the centre consol switches
- I found the position of the fog light switches in their
default position to be unacceptable, the switches were difficult to see
and locate because of the gear stick. There were two locations free
next to the drivers window button that I wanted to use, so I decided to
move them, this is how I did it.
- Remove both triangular foot well panels, each panel is
fixed with two phillips screws.
- Using a 10mm spanner or socket, remove the two 10mm
plastic nuts that hold the black unit that sits in front of the
switches, move the unit to one side.
- Remove the multiplug from the switch(s) you want to
move and push the switch from the back out of the consol.
- On top of the switch you will see two raised ridges
close together, in the consol housing you will see a corresponding
slot, this is all that stops the switch being placed in the 'wrong'
- Using a sharp knife, remove the raised ridges from the
- Remove the blank from the location you want the switch
to be in. Note that the blank does not have any location ridges.
- Push the switch in from the front and reconnect the
- Push the blank in the switch's old location.
- Bolt back the black unit.
- Screw back the two triangular panels.
...door caps - remove and paint
- smbMG from the MG-Rover.org forum put together this how-to
describing how he removed and painted his door caps.
- prevent the wind stop from rubbing on the rear screen
- Adam Elphick has produced this
great 'How To' showing pictorially how to reduce the height of a
mesh windstop to prevent it from rubbing on the rear screen when you
lower the wind stop with the hood up. Adam also has plans for colour
coding the frame and mesh !!! This can also be
...remove the instrument panel
- This how to
on the MG-Rover.org forum was produced by MGFmad.
Although specific to the F, it may also be useful to TF
owners.....unless some one would like to produce a TF specific how to
- MG_CHIC on the MG-Rover.org forum put together
this thread showing how she removed a door mirror. Also includes
door card removal.
...bonnet release cable
- CJJ shows how to adjust the heater cable in this
thread on the MG-Rover.org forum.
- Martin 75 on the MG-Rover.org forum shows us how
to fit chrome bezels from an MG ZT to the door release finishers
from a TF.